1. We've just announced the lore for our newest project! Check it out here: https://forums.cc-revival.com/threads/cc-singularity-lore-reveal.2702/
    Dismiss Notice

War Footage/Vaporwar/War images

Discussion in 'Media' started by Pastor, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Pastor

Pastor Newcomer

Ratings:
    +27 / 3 / -1
    [​IMG]
    American POW’s released from Vietnam

Post your favorites.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. wizard

wizard Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Vaporwar sounds like a massive vaping competition.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Pastor

Pastor Newcomer

Ratings:
    +27 / 3 / -1
    [​IMG]
    Many Americans in Vietnam disapproved of the war, as this lighter from a soldier shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lawlman

Lawlman Zarya's Bitch
    Benefactor

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -0
    property of the state.jpg
    71167436_115805023151499_5432755118267170816_n.png
    gon burn it all.jpg
    threat.jpg
    Riot Control.jpg

Something something big igloo night vision

5. Lawlman

Lawlman Zarya's Bitch
    Benefactor

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -0
  6. Pershing

Pershing Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 7 / -6
    [​IMG]
    we do be reviving old threads doe

7. Lawlman

Lawlman Zarya's Bitch
    Benefactor

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -0
    Yessir

Freedom isn't free.jpg Was it.jpg
    We never die.jpg

8. Ethan

Ethan Combine Civil Authority
    Senior Administrator

Ratings:
    +306 / 6 / -0
    All these images and their captions seem to only want to achieve one thing, surface-level creativity and to romanticize images of war. To do this you have to remove these images from their context, which in my opinion subtracts from them the majority of their substance. Worse, the labels don't do them any justice, they plaster conjectural sentimentality in place of what could be an accurate extract of history or interpretation of the moment garnered by understanding its context. They could have just left the image to stand for itself without stylistic editing. Overall the implication is that war is either edgy, cool, beautiful or otherwise appealing.

I think if you guys are looking for value out of all these images or images of war itself, read into them. Like this image you posted, there's an entire story behind this.

After that you might be inclined to pick up some books that are worth reading about what this soldier or soldiers like him went through, I recommend "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer who fought on the same front as the soldier in the image linked above.

"Of course, the general difficulties of our situation--our encirclement, and the despair of the troops forced to abandon their weapons in a sea of mud--were never mentioned. Nor were such things as the adjutant and his section taken prisoner, and liberated too late, or the profound sense of hopelessness and misery which settled over the adult children we were, facing another winter of war--more human bridges across icy rivers, like the one over the Dnieper; more frozen, abandoned regiments and scorched earth and weeks of terror, like our week at Chernigov; more hands cracked open by chilblains; and more fatal acceptance of the idea of death. Generals have since written accounts of these events, locating particular catastrophes, and summarizing in a sentence, or a few lines, the losses from sickness or freezing. But they never, to my knowledge, give sufficient expression to the wretchedness of soldiers abandoned to a fate one would wish to spare even the most miserable cur." Pages 215 & 216, Guy Sajer. ​

I think if we want to celebrate these images in any way, it's in the detail that they deserve to be viewed in and best described by those who were there. And to do that, if all it takes is to pick up one of these books and just read that first person account that will undoubtedly change your perspective, I think it's worth it. Paperback on this only 14 bucks, I say take the hit and enjoy the read. It's a good one.

Here's a couple others worth looking into.

"About Face" by David Hackworth, a great book and a big one. Goes from his time in TRUST post WWII Italy, the Korean War to the Vietnam War, contains great leadership lessons and sobering perceptions of war for sure.

"Steel my Soldier's Hearts" by David Hackworth, this book goes over more his time in the Vietnam War and specifically his time with 4th Bat/39th Infantry which stand as fantastic examples of leadership and the effect of a good leader over a unit with a bad history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Pershing

Pershing Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 7 / -6
    haha yeah, what he said
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Lawlman

Lawlman Zarya's Bitch
    Benefactor

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -0
    I see your point, and entirely agree with you that it's purely just for creativity and overly sentimental value at the surface level, but I'm merely posting these as I believe they can capture a mood, feeling, and overall tone the original images can't necessarily create. While I do believe they romanticize war and not exactly in the best of ways, I still feel they have artistic and even potentially historic value. Arguably spurring people to investigate the context and events behind the images, and learn more about the reality and history of it all.

My intention wasn't to glorify war, violence, or anything of the sort. Really, I'm just posting images I thought were well done and made an interesting statement. That's all there is to it to me.

About Face is a really good read, reccomend anyone who hasn't read it read it. I still need to read Steel my Soldier's Hearts though.

11. A Chinese Master Sergeant

A Chinese Master Sergeant why am i called akio

Ratings:
    +69 / 9 / -3
    can I vape in your food?

12. Lawlman

Lawlman Zarya's Bitch
    Benefactor

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -0
    No
    Fight me you retarded.jpg