1. We've just announced the lore for our newest project! Check it out here: https://forums.cc-revival.com/threads/cc-singularity-lore-reveal.2702/
    Dismiss Notice

Vortigaunt Applications

Discussion in 'Vortigaunts' started by Fooz, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Fooz

Fooz Community Manager
    Community Manager

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 57 / -21
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the Vortigaunt applications, before filling out your application please be sure to thoroughly read the information thread, which can be found HERE.

Post your application as a response to the thread. Be sure to unbold your answers. Also keep in mind that all Vortigaunts will start off as enslaved on the server.

Steam ID:

Vortigaunt Name:

What direction would you like to take with your Vortigaunt?

Provide a backstory of your Vortigaunt:

How can the Vortessence be harnessed and put to use, both in everyday situations and in more creative endeavors, and not just by Vortigaunts, but how can this power be used by humans and the Combine as well?:

What are some unorthodox uses of the Vortessence, and how far do you take roleplaying them? When is it "too much"?:

You're an unshackled Vortigaunt and have been caught by a Combine patrol. You are backed into a corner. The number and quality of the antagonists is open to interpretation. Describe how you would act:

2. Sonicluke8

Sonicluke8 Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 9 / -3
    Steam ID:STEAM_1:1:150682905

Vortigaunt Name: Mun'la

What direction would you like to take with your Vortigaunt?: Where a character goes depend on what they go through and what environment they're in, i'd like this character to feel natural and flow with what happens to them.

Provide a backstory of your Vortigaunt: This vortigaunt was there since the beginning, while they haven't witnessed freeman or his exploits in Xen as they were a factory worker (Seen in the Xen chapters making Alien grunts) and rarely got into combat. It somehow managed to evade danger for a good while until the combine took interest to earth, as that was where it had fled during one of the portal storms. They decided it was best to surrender and work under the combine until an opportunity presented itself to help able individuals when the combine were weak. They still haven't found the chance they've wanted, and work and wait patiently under the rule of combine. They are an optimist, but when things are hopeless or they are stuck will face the reality of a situation and take proper measures to minimize losses

How can the Vortessence be harnessed and put to use, both in everyday situations and in more creative endeavors, and not just by Vortigaunts, but how can this power be used by humans and the Combine as well?: It can be harnessed just for simple energy for the Combine and Rebels, or even for a regular citizen, it can be used to help slow the death of more fatal wounds (But can't heal completely without extract), it can also be used to make shockwaves for combat (As seen in episode 2 when fighting the antlions) or blasts of energy (seen in general attacking), but there's a variety of things their power is capable of. It gives off an electric charge and some push, so they can be used in basic combat, medical positions, but their utility is what they really stand out. (After reading info, that's just from my prior knowledge) Their capability to weld and power also makes them great engineers for the rebels. This makes them exceptionally good for helping set up traps or craft items.

What are some unorthodox uses of the Vortessence, and how far do you take roleplaying them? When is it "too much"?: As mentioned in the previous answer, it can be used in things like powering electronics to making a decent attack, however that's scratching the surface as it seems to have some power similar to the G-man's, such as astral projections and slowing/freezing time. Time distortion and astral projections and a bit before that is obviously overpowered, and shouldn't be used in regular RP. A way that would be cool would be electrifying a door or fence to fend off enemies, serving to electrocute them. Of course after a short while that energy would dissipate, only serving as something to buy some time in bad situations. Their blasts could also likely break down doors, which would be useful. Their welding could also be used to weld things shut, to also hold off enemies. A strong blast or quick weld, maybe even a slight heal is fine, and still useful. I will use the power as creatively as possible but try to limit how I use it in certain ways.

You're an unshackled Vortigaunt and have been caught by a Combine patrol. You are backed into a corner. The number and quality of the antagonists is open to interpretation. Describe how you would act: This vortigaunt is focused on the reality of a situation. They would likely accept the loss and get forced to work for them again, however if there's a small amount and a possible escape (Such as rebels in the vicinity that can help), it may make an effort to escape if needed (Like if it's going to be killed for it not having shackles or helping rebels).

Accepted.

#2 Sonicluke8, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HardHat

HardHat CC-R’s A.I.

Ratings:
    +375 / 25 / -10
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:55879149

Vortigaunt Name: Samsara

I've always really liked the science side of roleplaying. I've done that kind of RP on a bunch of different servers though haven't had the chance to properly do it in HL2rp. So of course i'll be going to try and do resistance, though shackles are quite the finicky thing to get out of. This could of course change through the course of time, but this is the image i'm looking to start out with.

Samsara was in the service of the 'Lesser Master' or the Nihilanth, though while the events of Black Mesa happened it was stationed in the factory complex that produced Alien Grunts. It hadn't seen any combat, though when the Nihilanth fell it took its first chance to become free. Breaking out of the complex with a group of twelve vortigaunts they made their way to the outskirts of Xen and camped out for what was only a few months. During that time all hell broke out in Xen, as the only thing that slightly held the wild world in some sort of peace was the Nihilanth, and with it gone it became what it originally was. Though they survived, it wasn't prosperous and they had hard times trying to fend off the larger creatures that inhabited the lands. It was during one of these times that the vortigaunts were fending off local fauna when a portal had opened up randomly and started taking in all the fauna, animals and plants. Seeing a much better chance then staying where they were currently held up the vortigaunts moved and went through the portal, ending up on Earth, more specifically Sweden.

The vortigaunts were, while still gaining back their senses, enamored by their surroundings. None of them had been to Earth before and they had ended up in a shaking snow covered forest. While trying to take it all in realized the portal storm was still happening, hence the shaking, and started to move further from the epicenter of the storm. They were out of it quick, and the area was teeming with xenian fauna which they either scared off or avoided completely. The group of now seven vortigaunts stayed like this for longer then their previous camp in Xen, and the only reason they had stopped was because they encountered a group of humans.

These humans weren't hostile at the vortigaunts, though they were scared. Running away the vortigaunts slowly perused them, not wanting to show they were hostile though wanting to know of these new creatures on this planet. One of these humans fell into a ditch and the vortigaunts caught up to the man, his leg bent at an unnatural angle. The group studied him for a few minutes, watching as he got to the other side of the ditch and held his leg, looking up at them and speaking in a language they didn't understand. After they had studied this new creature they moved forward and dragged this obviously intelligent being out of the ditch, though they did not know the anatomy of this creature they healed his leg to an extent. The other humans at this point came back and saw all these large being surrounding one of their own and started to shout and threw rocks. The vortigaunts backed away from the human in where the downed man explained the situation to the other group. The group of humans talked among themselves for a while before cautiously taking the downed man back to their camp, waving the vortigaunts to come along, at least they could understand that.

The group of humans awkwardly introduced the vortigaunts to the rest of the small village where they quickly become quite friendly to the aliens. It was only a few months after in which the vortigaunts started to even stay within the village instead of visiting, this friendship lasted for nearly a whole decade, the group of vortigaunts all learning about, what they now know as humans and Earth. Samsara was the most prominent of the group and learned the Swedish language and culture. All the vortigaunts helped with powering the village but Samsara learned how to fix these devices that powered this whole area. It became close to these people, though this wasn't to last.

The Seven Hour war had just started, and while the village wasn't directly affected by it strange sounds filled the air along with powerful winds from the portal storms a long distance away. The Seven Hour war came and went, then the Universal Union came for the village. The group of vortigaunts informed the denizens of the town, though warned that they stood no chance at fighting. The whole village peacefully offered themselves over to the 'Greater Masters' along with the vortigaunts themselves, they knew running would only get them a grave. Samsara and the small group of vortigaunts were shackled, the humans transported away, and in the end they were all split. Samsara was enslaved to the Union, transported to Ukraine, City 17 in the first few months and there it stayed, doing manual labor and fixing decaying devices for years on end. Its most recent change was its transfer to Precinct 7, where Samsara expects that it'll be the same as its always been.

How can the Vortessence be harnessed and put to use, both in everyday situations and in more creative endeavors, and not just by Vortigaunts, but how can this power be used by humans and the Combine as well?:

In most everyday situations vortessence probably wont be used in the first place, let alone any combative uses. Though there are things that it can be used for every once and a while. Powering up radios, generators, and all types of electrical objects is something simple enough to do without shackles. For humans in the city a vortigaunt can be called in to get a radio working after its batteries give out, or maybe its helping tend to a man who recently had some reeducation. For the Union they can be called into either restarting damaged scanners so information can be gathered from the robots or powering up a stranded APC. There are multiple uses that vortigaunts can be used in, though with their shackles its quite difficult to do these things.

What are some unorthodox uses of the Vortessence, and how far do you take roleplaying them? When is it "too much"?:

An unorthodox use of vortigaunts that I've only seen a handful of times is taking the power from objects. Say theres a force field in the way of some refugees getting out of the city, the vortigaunt can temperately take power from it and shut off the force field. Maybe theres a Union outpost that needs to be blacked out, a vortigaunt can take the power out of their generator. Another use is a vortal push, say theres a bunch of smoke from a fire, a vortigaunt can push away all the smoke in a burst of energy. Theres also some things people don't realize vortigaunts themselves can do, they aren't affected much by intoxicants or chemicals, so like toxic gasses will take a lot longer for them to negatively respond to compared to humans.

Vortigaunts need to have limits of course, and without a sufficient amount of vortigaunts or enough time a lot of these things are hard to do. Something I see as too much is of course resurrecting someone, you can't bring somebody back from death, unless you count a headcrab zombie as one. Another is 'teleporting', I've seen some servers where a group of vortigaunts teleport themselves, though I doubt that could actually happen. A lot of other things too, blasting through waves of enemies without tiring, blasting someone once and expecting them to instantly die, stuff like that.

You're an unshackled Vortigaunt and have been caught by a Combine patrol. You are backed into a corner. The number and quality of the antagonists is open to interpretation. Describe how you would act:

Alright, my character Samsara is backed into a corner by three man patrol, two regular Ground Units and a Senior Ground unit. I hide behind any cover possible as they yell for me to come out, as i'm unshackled i'd most likely have a radio on me and contact whatever group I was with for assistance and my situation, the units probably doing the same.

I yell at them that if they get any closer i'll have to make an unneeded example of one of them, and infact when one of them gets close I blast one of them, though with a concussive force, trying not to kill the units, i'd rather not have a whole squad down here getting revenge for one of their friends. The squad leader takes the hit to his chest, throwing his weapon and himself down to the ground while the Ground Units fire at me, though after a second they stop as i'm back behind cover and one of them is tending to the Squad leader.

Yelling at the units to retreat as more of my brethren who are not as forgiving are coming down. I'm totally bluffing at this point, theres only a small band of ill equipped refugees. The units who probably wouldn't be very convinced by it fire at my cover once again, in which I start to talk in vortigese, making loud echoing sounds which to the unknowing probably sounds like more then one voice. The units take the hint and retreat, I throw another blast at them and intentionally miss, and after they're gone I retreat myself and find a good hiding spot as a whole squad will probably be down there in minutes.

Accepted.

#3 HardHat, Feb 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. PhoenixCool

PhoenixCool The FNG

Ratings:
    +34 / 5 / -1
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:34087162

Vortigaunt Name: Aristotle

It is difficult to say with certainty what paths are viable for a Vortigaunt to take, though typically we've seen them remain as hermits in HL2, they've also had instrumental roles within the plot as members of the resistance and as roaming packs in the outlands that assist the resistance when they must. The direction I would like to take is more of a wandering hermit, a character that other roaming characters can come across and speak to, or seek out for his powers. This way, I would avoid confrontation with CCA patrols while also avoiding the trap of becoming a resistance tool that is constantly used for healing injured members or killing powerful creatures.

Same as the rest of his kin, he was enslaved and used for producing the legions of grunts for the Nihilanth's invasion of Earth prior to the resonance cascade. He was likely not born on the Vortigaunt homeworld, the timeline and information thread suggests that Vortigaunts had been enslaved for many years even before the Nihilanth. He grew up enslaved like his family and his resentment for his oppressors, whether they be the Nihilanth itself or the Combine, grew with him. Once he was selected to be sent to Earth even as just a fledgling, he didn't have much choice but to follow the orders given to him. He managed to survive the bloody war on Earth long enough to see the Seven Hour War that followed, and the subsequent domination of Earth by the Combine. He didn't last long on his own and was captured, shackled once again, and put to work cleaning up trash and performing menial tasks. This servitude continued up to the current year, and has yet to change.

The Vortessence has its more obvious uses in the form of attacks and healing powers as the information thread suggests, though we've seen that it has also been used for much more interesting purposes than that. Vortigaunts have been known to use it in everyday situations to power objects such as elevator generators and radios. It can be surmised that anything that carries and uses an electric current to function could then be powered by giving it a small amount of electric power summoned through using the Vortessence. Beyond this, the electricity aspect could be used to start fires when combined with dry kindling or flammable liquids to start a campfire or light a torch for example. I can see this usage of the Vortessence coming in handy when dealing with the new threat of the fungus. In a passive manner, the Vortessence can be used to telepathically communicate with other beings that can access the Vortessence, which means it can be assumed to be a common form of communication between Vortigaunts.

Humans can use the Vortessence's powers through Vortigaunts for all of these things to benefit themselves or the resistance's efforts, as well as using the power to weld metals as the information thread also suggests. Welding is something the resistance likely needs for armoring or fortifying, or creating different contraptions.

It is hard to say what the Combine would use it for since it is dangerous in the hands of a Vortigaunt, a species that has been known to rebel in the past. Since the Vortessence is used for powering things, a Combine patrol or squad might use it to power their electronics in the event of an emergency. I doubt that they would allow a Vortigaunt to unleash its full power to, for example, kill something that is attacking.

Unorthodox uses of the Vortessence are the bread and butter of roleplaying a Vortigaunt in my opinion, typical uses of it like attacking and healing are cool and all, but a player's abilities to roleplay a Vortigaunt truly shine when they can show they have the intuition to use their power to influence their surroundings and change their circumstances. An example that I provided above is fitting for this question, an attack using the Vortessence likely would not affect something like the fungus but the Vortessence can be used to spark a fire using something flammable, and fire is known to kill the fungus rather reliably. Aside from the electricity aspect, the Vortessence can be influenced in ways that enable a Vortigaunt to affect others mentally, especially when multiple Vortigaunts channel their energy together as we saw in the end of HL2 and the beginning of EP1.

I think you can go to great lengths when using the Vortessence if you know the canon limits of it and the guidelines commonly instated on roleplay servers for balance. It becomes too much when a single Vortigaunt is defeating droves of enemies and not describing any fatigue, or when they are healing many characters or heavily injured characters. It can be too much if a single vortigaunt is trying to power something massive like an entire building, as well.

A patrol would likely consist of two or more units, however the units would probably not be the most well equipped. In this situation, I'll assume it is a typical beat consisting of two units, one has a pistol and one has an SMG. In this situation, I've had time to regain my strength and ability to use the Vortessence freely. I would use an energy beam on the SMG unit and rush toward the unit with the pistol, who would be near to me to have backed me into a corner. This unit would likely get some shots off and hit me, however I would continue forward and try to physically attack the unit until he was on the ground, finishing him off with another energy beam. It's not every day that a unit is faced with an escapee Vortigaunt and would likely heavily underestimate the power of even just a lone Vortigaunt.

In a less ideal situation, such as if I was outgunned, I would inevitably surrender. A single Vortigaunt is formidable, but not invincible to bullets.

accept-ed!

#4 PhoenixCool, Feb 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Drewerth

Drewerth breen is a 4head
    Developer Lore Team

Ratings:
    +12 / 2 / -0
    Steam ID:
    STEAM_1:0:55407526

Vortigaunt Name:
    Adelphos

One of my favorite scenes from the Half-Life universe comes from a scene directly mentioned in the application, the All-Knowing Vortigaunt. If accepted into the Vortigaunt faction I’d like to continue on the work that I’ve done on previous servers in the past and explore the more fantastic realm of Vortigaunt religion, faith, and history. This usually results in my Vortigaunt characters straying away from regular society to study the “tapestry” in hopes of finding a means of combating the Combine empire unless otherwise prompted into action through times of duress and fear.

In short, I’d like to explore a more religious and philosophical Vortigaunt that prefers to hide away from the violence of rebellion unless the use of the essence is absolutely necessary to ensure the safety of their kin. I should also note that Adelphos is merely a name adopted upon sometime after their arrival to Earth to facilitate easier communication with humans. To the kin, Adelphos’ true name is Fehl’Uhr.

Adelphos’ life was anything but short-lived prior to the invasion of Earth following the Black Mesa incident. Born several generations before the resonance cascade, Adelphos found themself subjected to years of persecution and forced labor under the unwavering grip of Nihilanth and its army. Distraught and afraid for its future, Adelphos looked to the past in hopes of finding an answer to their questions.

In their adventure Adelphos met historians and scholars, though not by name. Like-minded kin created an underground society built on the foundations of knowledge and philosophy, problem solvers if you will, all dedicated to studying the old ways of the Vortigaunts before the factory enslavements began. They read ancient markings from the first Vortigaunts who had journeyed to Xen many ages ago, attempted to discover long forgotten secrets of the "tapestry," and studied the remains of their ancestors. All was done in secret to prevent the controllers from discovering this small sects ill-will toward the Nihilanth. This undertaking was a great one and it took many years for true progress to be made in the name of Vortigaunt philosophy. Through years of study, though Adelphos' age rose steadily, the answers they sought grew closer. Within several years of the Black Mesa incident, the self-proclaimed philosophers discovered the origins of their move - the Combine invasion. The studious kin like Adelphos were overjoyed at such a discovery but also found themselves laden with distraught as such an overbearing enemy could not be beaten with the kin in such a weakened state. Adelphos abandoned their studies, fearing that a solution to their plight might never be discovered.

For several years Adelphos resumed their normal factory duties, nearly forgetting all that they had practiced and learned for so many years of their adult life. It wasn't until the Black Mesa incident that hope once again surfaced on the skin of the aging Vortigaunt. Adelphos, a relatively poor warrior, stayed on the border world until Gordon Freeman defeated the ancient Nihilanth. Rejuvenated and jubilant, Adelphos flocked to Earth through volatile portals along thousands of kin that still remained on the border world. Once all was done, they found themself in the southern regions of Greece. It was not for some time later that Adelphos learned from another kin who had experienced the Freeman themself what the humans were doing their kind. Needless to say, they remained in hiding for some time.

Months, maybe even a year, passed before Adelphos grew enough courage to seek out a small pack of kin to travel with. The aging Vortigaunt saw this as an excellent opportunity to spread the knowledge of the older Vortigaunt ways that they had learned, just as they hoped the other self-claimed philosophers were doing. Adelphos spoke of their theories of newfound Vortigaunt strength and freedom, hoping that the others would heed their word and spread it further. It was also around this time that the small tribe came into connection with some of their first real human victims of the blossoming portal storms. Fearful at first, most of the tribe put their differences aside and agreed to work with the humans to mutually survive. Adelphos was not one of these kin; they could not put the horror stories of the humans' brutality to the Vortigaunts behind. They stuck around, of course, as power in numbers meant prolonged survival. It was around this time that Adelphos adopted their more-Earthlike name to make it easier to communicate with those who couldn't speak through the flux.

Years go by and Adelphos slowly grows accustomed to living among the humans, though lingering doubts remain. In just a few days the Combine will strike the Earth and take the planet over in just a matter of hours. It took only minutes for Adelphos and their tribe to be taken over by the monstrosities of the Combine's inter-dimensional army, the very creatures they had read about in ancient scripts many years before. Adelphos, while old, was not too old and was spared execution in exchange for a life of slavery. Unlike the Nihilanth's enslavement however, there was no time to seek an answer to this newfound way of life. There was no time alone nor free time to practice one's knowledge of the Vortessence. Despite it all, Adelphos remains hopeful that one day their shackles will be displaced and the philospher within will be allowed to question the world once more. That one day they may return to their studies with a newfound vigor to save their kind from extinction, and perhaps bring the fight back to the Combine's doorstep. Whether or not humanity tags along is up to the history books.

Vortessence is an abstract tool. It bends to the user’s will to become what they need it to be.

To Vortigaunts, the essence is a mark of unity between one another. They can use it to heal each other, fight their common enemies, and it enabled long-range communication through flux cries in mountain ranges as seen in Episode 2. These are fairly generic use cases however. To my Vortigaunt, Adelphos, the Vortessence could be seen as a means of studying the Vortal Cords in search of signs, abilities, or messages that they believe are the solution to the Combine menace. What they find is up to interpretation and subject to inaccuracies and criticisms but to them they have, at least, discovered something that has the potential to act as a stepping stone towards freedom. In one server this concept went as far as allowing usage of even more archaic Vortal abilities. Not to say that has to be the case here, but it has often brought about interesting situations that have enough gravity to affect Vortigaunts and, sometimes, human characters as a whole.

A human might find the Vortessence as a utility more than a mystical power. Vortigaunts can, of course, jump start generators and other electrical devices that may be necessary given any current situation. Or, perhaps, someone could be hurt and it’s going to take a bit more than conventional surgery to preserve someone’s life - that is where the Vortigaunts come in.

The Combine, unlike the resistance, only cares about one thing: power. Everything in the Combine’s infrastructure requires some form of electrical or alien power. They will abuse and drain Vortigaunts of their natural Vortal energy however possible to power their own tools. In some situations, though I find it unlikely, I could see the Combine using Vortigaunts as pawns for handling the hazardous creatures that pollute the sewers.

Anything beyond the standard, common utilities.

My Vortigaunt is not a strong warrior nor do I intend for them to become one. To counteract this short-coming I see myself using Adelphos’ powers to district, defend, and counter that which is deemed to be a threat. Maybe, for example, a shock or blast of the Vortessence could be used to throw up dust and debris to hide Adelphos and buy them time to escape. Perhaps, if the combatants are deemed frail and less than agile, Adelphos could send a shockwave through the ground to disable and push the attackers over. Things like this I find unconventional, using the Vortessence as a tool for problem solving without outright attacking the enemy - consider Adelphos’ age, they’re not capable of throwing out bolts of lightning back-to-back like the Vortigaunts we see in Half-Life.

Another thing I’d like to explore is using the Vortessence as a means of studying other creatures. The All-Knowing Vortigaunt claims that everything is part of the tapestry woven of Vortessence, humans just fail to see it. Adelphos also adopts this belief and would use their powers to explore the tapestry to learn more about other organisms, and perhaps even attempt to communicate with them (a task that should fail because, as far as we know, only Vortigaunts are able to “see” the tapestry in canon Half-Life 2).

Everything, of course, has limits. No Vortigaunt should be able to do all and know all through their powers. It’s simply not possible for a normal Vortigaunt. Vortigaunts like other creatures require energy and sustenance and, lacking both, should severely limit any potential use of the Vortessence. Battle should be strenuous, healing should be strenuous, and using the tapestry to study should be extraordinarily strenuous. These things should only come in short bursts before a Vortigaunt tires out. Other things that should be avoided are “game breaking” powers - we only see one person be “brought back” from the dead in Half-Life 2 Episode 2; this does not mean it’s a common thing and it certainly shouldn’t be used to undo a character PK. Other unnatural powers I’ve seen that should be avoided include teleportation and “limited telepathy” that goes along the lines of “I feel that X is in danger, we must go.”

Adelphos is no fighter. Despite the threat of the Combine officers, there is no intent from the Vortigaunt to return to a life of slavery or worse. With a simple click of their claws a feign green glow is manufactured from their skin in an attempt to feign an incoming electrical attack. Threats are exchanged between the parties but the officers refuse to stray from their position of power - by all means, statistics say they should come out as the victors here.

A solution unsuccessful and with more Combine on the way Adelphos is forced to reevaluate their position. They lower their claws and bring them together, hiding what little green light remains. A snarl is followed by the creature lowering their head to signify surrender. It’s by their luck that two newly officiated units step forward to “attempt and arrest” while the more trained one communicates over the radio; their actions are their downfall. Such a careless action leads into a physical retaliation from Adelphos, using the physical strength of a Vortigaunt to overpower the two, throw them to the ground, and preserve the Vortigaunts vortal energy. All’s not so simple, of course, as the third officer quickly retaliates by aiming his weapon and declaring that any further resistance will result in termination.

This is the moment of fight or flight, and Adelphos sees no option other than fight. Adelphos will try to power through, using an officer as a shield for itself, while moving towards the closest sewer grate. They’d have nearly made it too if not for the arrival of more trained and equipped officers to the scene, two more patrols of units ready to rip Adelphos limb from limb. Mere feet from the server gate too, but Adelphos must use reason to ensure their survival. They release the unit in agreement for their life, more willing to enter servitude than to face non-existence and, by extension, failure to preserve their own kind. There will be another day for them.

Acceptamumdo

#5 Drewerth, Feb 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. λhollywoodcolexλ

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:84976930

Vortigaunt Name: Jin'Vel

Overall, the path which my Vortigaunt takes is dictated by the roleplay which happens around this character. However, if I were to choose a path I would prefer to attempt to make a sort of network for other Vortigaunts. Much like how the rebels created ways to escape the combine, I would like to make a place which would allow Vortigaunts to be free and keep them from being a pawn in someone's game because of their abilities. I would like to stay secluded from many, helping newly freed Vortigaunts stay safe and possibly making a sort of tightly knit Vortigaunt Society.

Jin'Vel was apart of the last generation to be born in Xen before the resonance cascade. Getting sent to work in the factories for the Nihilanth, Jin'Vel had a growing feeling of merely being a tool to aid in someone else's grand scheme. With this came anger, and a hatred for authority. He prayed for the weight of his shackles to be lifted, and soon, his prayers were answered. After the Nihilanth was slain, Jin took his first opportunity to escape Xen. Arriving at Earth, Jin enjoyed his newfound freedom and spend much of it wandering and learning as much as he could. Soon, the Seven Hour War began. Surviving the bloodshed, Jin was captured by the combine only to be put back to work. Now, Jin bides his time waiting for his next chance to shed his shackles and hopefully, help his fellow Vortigaunt find their own freedom.

Overall Use:
    Vortigaunts can perform many incredible feats. Basic ones include powering TVs, firing a dangerous bolt of electricity and welding. Along with this they can flux shift to speak with one another over long distances and heal wounds, however the more grievous, the more a Vortigaunt may need to complete the healing process. Vortigaunts could also melt down metals and craft things without the need of a furnace, however a work bench would likely be needed to prevent damaging one's self while doing this. Possibly if a Vortigaunt attempted to escape through a tunnel, it may be able to use the vortessence to shoot a beam which would cause the tunnel.

Combine: The Combine's want for efficiency and power makes it obvious as to why they would enslave Vortigaunts, however their utility is limited to menial labor such as cleaning. With the shackles merely allowing them to produce a hair raising static and speak their language, they won't be able to do much to help the Combine, at least not with their powers.

Humans: For humans, a Vortigaunt can be a valuable asset to have around. With the ability to run their machines on their own, conjure electrical beams powerful enough to kill a metrocop with a single blast and weld metals together, it's no wonder that a rag-tag team of rebels would want this jack of all trades with them. Along with these basic things, humans could use Vortigaunts as an untraceable radio of sorts. If two rebel groups are far, however they both have Vortigaunts with them, the humans could use the Vortigaunts' flux shift to relay messages between the one another, without the risk of getting their frequency picked up by Combine Authorities.

Unorthodox Ideas:
    Depending on whether or not there is beach or area with Antlions, a Vortigaunt may be able to study antlions and determine how to extract pheropods from Antlion Guardians, causing antlions to turn a blind eye to their or someone else's presence. Seeing as the Xenian Fungus only infects humans and headcrabs, Vortigaunts would be able to come in contact and even handle the disease. Because of it's connection to Xen, Vortigaunts may be able to study and find uses for it. They may even be able to make traps for humans or cultivate it to keep them out of an area. Seeing as Vortigaunts have lived in Xen, they may possess knowledge on preparing Xen creatures such as Antlion and Headcrabs for a meal.

When it becomes too much: With Vortigaunts, I personally feel it becomes too much when Vortigaunts become, almost elevated to a godlike status. Vortigaunts should not be able to constantly heal individuals without becoming exhausted. For rebels, it can be gamechanging to have a healing, metrocop one shotting, metal welding character to be apart of their ranks, however, often times the privilege which comes with a Vortigaunt is overused. Constantly conjuring their electrical beams should take a toll on the Vortigaunt. The ability to bring a player back from deaths door shouldn't be common place, In Ep2 Alyx was stabbed in the abdomen by a hunter. It took four Vortigaunts plus Gordon and the aid of Larval Extract to bring Alyx back. With this in mind a someone riddled with bullets should be unable be brought back from the brink of death without a large amount of tedious work and many Vortigaunts. If anything, I don't feel it's the abilities that go too far, I feel it's how people use that abilities that go too far.

Outnumbered by two units, each wielding a standard SMG, I am backed into a dead end ally. As the units begin come nearer, one officer begins to shout to shout come peacefully. They radio for backup, not knowing how exactly they should handle me. Realizing that I am outgunned and outnumbered, I tell they I do not wish for violence, raising my hands, I allow the civil protection officers to approach. They restrain me and take me back, I do not resist for fear of never being able to experience freedom again. I know that in doing nothing, I'll have a chance at freedom once again, sometime in the future.

Accepted.

#6 λhollywoodcolexλ, Mar 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fonzie Anarchy

Fonzie Anarchy Newcomer

Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:91467547

Vortigaunt Name: Jaak'Vhur

I personally enjoy exploring the philosophy of the Vortigaunts. The idea of all beings having a connection through the Vortessence, and the All-In-One has always been of great interest to me. One of my favorite things when roleplaying a Vortigaunt is talking to humans as a Vortigaunt, discussing the difference in philosophy, and ideas between our species. I love roleplaying a Vortigaunt who acts as a beacon of hope for both humanity and Vortigaunts, with fiery monologues and speeches such as seen within HL2. I'd want to interact with humans, answer their questions, and pose questions to them in order to try and weave an interesting story between us. Hopefully creating a mutual feeling of enjoyment.

Jaak'Vhur was born a few generations before the event we know as the Resonance Cascade, having a great interest in the art and culture of his kin, yet still believing in the importance of upholding ancient customs such as Antlion Husbandry and the knowledge of the All-In-One.
    Spending his time hunting and taming Antlions, then further discussing knowledge and philosophy with his kin.

Jaak'Vhur now stood in a similar place with the rest of his kin, his mind gripped tightly by the Lesser Master through it's truly malevolent use of puppet beings known as controllers. Every day was simply hard labor under such baleful creatures, his will no longer being his own as his ancestors across the eons had suffered the same fate. Powering the Nihilanth's dire machines in order to further fuel it's own plight against whatever it may fight. Perhaps humanity or the Combine, Jaak'Vhur worked for what seemed and endless endeavor. Yet, such mattered not to the controllers. As his bonds still allowed for them to clench an oppressive will upon his mind.

One day this all changed as the Controllers, as well as the Nihilanth had been silenced. The enslaved Vortigaunts will entirely becoming their own once again. Jaak'Vhur for the first few moments saw this a true opportunity to escape his bonds, and made his way to a nearby portal to escape Xen with his fellow kin. The flash of green light bathed him for a few moments, before the foreign rocky and wooded area of what we know as Serbia. The group traveled the soft Serbian wilderness. Until they came before a new sight, a small town of humans. They observed such creatures with a burning curiosity. As they had once been forced against their will to combat humanity, the group wished to show that they had no other will besides that of benevolence. After dwelling and observing the humans for a while, the group made the humans aware of their presence. Which was met with an uneasy sense of peace from the villagers. Yet, unbeknownst to both the Humans and the Vortigaunts, the Combine, soon to be called the Greater Masters, began their invasion of Earth. Quickly the knowledge was bestowed upon the group as nearby kin around began to flux shift the sudden entering of the depraved Combine. As the world was quickly overwhelmed by such a force, both the humans and Vortigaunts surrendered to them. Once again being placed with chaffing bonds which his kin had felt throughout their species's history.

Lets say James is friends with a Vortigaunt, and his oven's gas is working but it won't spark. Therefore, he can't cook anything. His Vortigaunt friend sees this and wants to help out. The Vortigaunt could use a slight amount of Vortessence to spark the flames, acting as the agent that turns the gas from gas, to fire. Due to their electricity attack. The Vortessence can also be used to assist in some quick barricade work, as they can help weld patches of metal if needed. This could also mean, if some citizens wanted some help fixing up a car, the Vortigaunt could help out with that. For the Combine, the Vortessence could be used to power things in an emergency. If an APC needs a jumpstart, or perhaps needs some armor repaired, they can employ the Vortessence like so.

Using the Vortessence to combat the elements is a great way to use the Vortessence in an unorthodox way. It's a cold rainy night, my Vortigaunt and a few humans are being constantly chilled by the winds and the harsh rain pouring down. Jaak'Vhur uses the Vortessence to help start a nearby fire in a barrel in order to give them warmth. Using the Vortessence to also help combat Xenian creatures in a peaceful way is also a great way to use the Vortessence. Headcrabs, Pit Drones, and other creatures might see Vortigaunts as natural predators. So using this status, as well as the threat of the Vortessence to scare them off is a pretty good unorthodox way to use the Vortessence. Mutually sharing pain with other Vortigaunts is a good use of the Vortessence, if a Vortigaunt is greatly suffering.

It becomes too much when people are running, jumping, and diving around as a Vortigaunt shocking people to death like some sort of demigod. Vortigaunts shouldn't be running around teleporting, using the Vortessence as a shield from bullets, and healing people alone who are knocking on death's door. You should always be pretty modest when using the Vortessence, as to create an environment that is enjoyable for everyone.

Jaak'Vhur gambled again, moving on the surface was risky for him and his kin. This time he was not so lucky, his hooves moved and carried him as fast as they could. He was cornered, and the trio of jackboots had pursued him. A vocoded yell trailed after Jaak'Vhur, the authoritarian voice resonating off the nearby concrete buildings. An order to surrender, and allow the Greater Master to affix their bonds upon him once more. Jaak'Vhur pondered for a few moments, in a moment of deception he placed his clawed appendages together in order to give the units the illusion of submission. Within Jaak'Vhur's mind, the idea of returning to enslavement again was intolerable. He truly realized that unless his life was spent upon the mutual freedom of both humanity and Vortikind alike, it was worthless, that he would be bound to live a life that him and his ancestors spurred to rid of such depraved slavery. The jackboots crept closer, squeaking against the grim alley, while the two others watched intently. It seemed behind the unit's optics that Jaak'Vhur was surrendering, until it was too late for him to see the green light surge forth, followed by claws moving to wrestle the unit into a more favorable position. The Vortessence merely added to Jaak'Vhur's strength, allowing the alien to grab ahold of the unit. In a panic'd state, the other units started barking at Jaak'Vhur, yelling at him to release the pair of jackboots he had within his grasp. Jaak'Vhur knew he couldn't kill the unit, despite his position as a voluntary collaborator and therefore oppressing not only humanity, but Vortikind and the countless other species under the reign of the Combine. Judgement was not his place to bestow at the moment. He crept forth, shouting towards the units to move to the side, or he'd simply return the unit within their grip to the
    All-In-One. The unit begged the others to follow the Vortigaunt's commands. They moved to the side, allowing Jaak'Vhur to pass reluctantly. The Vortigaunt moved off again, making sure he was clear of ballistics fire before simply releasing the unit and dashing off. Hopefully not to be trailed again.

Accepted!

#7 Fonzie Anarchy, May 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Strategic

Strategic Sicko Mode
    Administrator

Ratings:
    +950 / 62 / -29
    Applications have been reviewed. All of the above have been accepted.

9. Incognito

Incognito Newcomer

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:58565404

Vortigaunt Name: Tor’Zhur

I like the idea of interacting with Xenian flora and fauna. Something along the lines of an antlion den keeper would be pretty cool. I also enjoy taking part in casual conversations with humans and sparking interesting conversations about the way the world works. Another thing I’m interested in is collaborating with other Vortigaunts. Doing something like a railroad would be fun.

Tor’Zhur spent his days before enslavement by the Nihilanth tending to herds of beasts native to its world. Being one of young age it learned from a much older Vortigaunt who mentored it throughout most of its life up until the Resonance Cascade.

With its free thought lost seemingly forever, Tor’Zhur obeyed the Nihilanth’s every command. Performing basic tasks and grueling labour under their reign of power, it worked without a thought of resistance. Suddenly out of the blue, Tor’Zhur was forced through a portal by the greater being. It appeared behind a group of beings it had no recollection of, all it knew was that they must die. After slaughtering countless groups of enemy combatants alongside its kin, the shackle on its mind was abruptly released. Beckoned an elder to Tor’Zhur that escape was near, and so it followed them away from the facility with one other. The three trekked down to a stream nearby which lead into a dark cavern where they remained through the extent of the portal storms, coming out only to hunt. They passed the time meditating and discussing the meaning of the events leading up to this point in each of their lives.

After a while in that cave the world around them seemed not so grim, and they became lax. It was not long until the war began, the other Vortigaunts had been out hunting when it started. Tor’Zhur exited the cave to locate them as thunderous booms shrouded the landscape and rattle the cave’s interior. It communicated to them with no reply. It found their bodies. Mangled and torn apart by the invaders, the Masked Ones. As more Vortigaunts around the world caught sight of these invaders their presence and intentions were shouted through the Vortessence. Tor’Zhur mourned in the cave for many days until he was forced out in search of food. As it came across an animal amongst a ruined building, Tor’Zhur closed the distance to its prey. Just as it was about to pounce a bullet struck it in the back, taking it down to the ground with a heavy thud. The next day was a blur as the Masked Ones enchained Tor’Zhur, condemning him to a new master’s orders.

The Vortessence can be used in a variety of ways. For example, you can power a coffee machine to brew a nice warm mug of joe, focus a beam on a steel bridge support to melt through it, or aid the mending of a wound. The possibilities for these abilities are great, giving lots of room for interesting interaction.

The basic uses of the Vortessence are as follows: Powering electronic devices, creating extreme heat to melt or mend things, aiding in the recovery from a wound, and combative purposes such as focused blasts of energy.

The Combine have many good ways to abuse the Vortessence for their own purposes. For one, they can use it to extend the life of an old administrator at the cost of the Vortigaunt. Another good use is for powering a city or a device. With their technology and power, the options for exploitation are endless.

A human has a lot of good uses for a Vortigaunt’s powers. First, they could have one fight along side them as a deadly ally who ruthlessly tears through the Combine’s grunts. Next, they could use them as a healer to tend the wounded after a battle. Third, they could a Vortigaunt’s power to communicate with antlions and navigate through treacherous breeding grounds. Once again, the possibilities are endless.

Overall, the Vortessence is a valuable and useful asset to anyone who can get a Vortigaunt on their side. It must be remembered though that extensive use of the Vortessence will cause the user to be fatigued, but nevertheless, it is a great tool in nearly every situation.

A Vortigaunt might find itself using the Vortessence to heal someone it a critical state. The likelihood of this happening is low considering that multiple Vortigaunts are needed along with “The Extract” from an antlion hive if it’s available. This, however, is within a Vortigaunts power. The moment where you transition from healing a wound to bringing back someone from the dead is where the line is drawn. A Vortigaunt just isn’t able to do that. The same way one has to be stationary to focus a shock beam at a target, there’s a limit to the power.

Tor’Zhur traveled with his kin when possible, this wasn’t one of those times. It was dark and the others had made it across the city already, just waiting on Tor’Zhur. It slinked through the dank back alleys of the city, treading through shallow puddles on the rainy night. A radio crackles, a torch flashes from around the corner just up ahead. Tor’Zhur makes a run for it, back tracking the way it came when another pair of lights illuminate the path ahead. A vocoded voice barks for it to stop, and considering its options, it bursts through a door into a building nearby. Dead end. The sound of jackboots accompanied by menacing thunder jut through the doorway. Tor’Zhur stares in anticipation of what’s to come, it knows this could be the end. A brief period of meditation and the countdown starts from one of the waiting metrocops, “CHHZZZ- <:: Three, two, one. Breaching, breaching.” Just as they enter the door, Tor’Zhur shouts an ancient battle cry and fires a stunning bolt of green lightning at the first to enter which knocks the one behind it back like a bowling pin. It doesn’t stop there. The third metrocop, stunned, falls victim to the razor-sharp claws which lacerate his throat in a flurry of blows. The bio signals of the two deceased metrocops ring out while one other lies motionless on the floor. Tor’Zhur’s created its exit, and dashes off into the moonlight.

Accepted

#9 Incognito, May 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Suaki

Suaki pp

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -1
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:156385553

Vortigaunt Name: Xah'Ghalio

My aim with my Vortigaunt is to be a casual interactor, meaning he's highly social and likes to communicate with other Vortigaunts and humans. I think interactions as a Vortigaunt are a lot better than some with just humans as it adds a different mix to the equation of what people are used to.

Xah'Ghalio was a normal worker during the time of the Nihilanths reign. He spent most of his days in a factory assisting other Vortigaunts in building basic alien foot soldiers that served the Nihilanth as well. When not working he'd spend his free time interacting with other Vortigaunts often talking about the village they lived in which had a big community. Aside from this he willingly would help in the acts of farming antlion larval and grubs to grow stronger in the connection of the Vortessence. Xah' witnessed the abuse of his kin by the grunts, the same ones he was helping to create, and internally felt the pain of the others around him. On a day that seemed about the same as the past, everything was on high alert due to an individual that was invading the border world, Xah' heard of the man's will to not harm the Vortigaunts after learning of slavery they were under and purposefully left the area as far as he could so when the controllers ordered him to attack the invader it would severely hinder himself from being able to follow that order without it taking at least an hour to find him. After what seemed like forever until he came back to his senses and somehow made it back to the village, the border world began to shake and tremble, they released they were no longer under control by the Nihilanth and removed the shackles before running to small rifts that lead to the same place other Vortigaunts were invading unwilling. Earth.

Xah upon finding himself with other Vortigaunts were stunned to spot new lifeforms they have yet to see. Xah for around 6 years stayed in the outskirts of large cities where some humans that were brave enough to come would interact and bring food and other low-quality items, even learning human language. Until the 7 Hour war came there was little danger to him and the group of Vortigaunts only being small Xenian life forms like headcrabs or antlions. After this happened Xah fled to more hidden areas away from the Combines view such as sewers and canals. Through the Vortessense he learned of the Combines re-enslaving of his kin, this filled him with displease but knew if he were to get caught he wouldn't be able to help. Currently, Xah' sticks to the outskirts of cities and only pokes his head out to other Vortigaunts and citizens who look to seek refuge from the Combine.

The Vortessence can be used in many ways from engineering to healing to suppressing, even taking from one's energy. The Vortigaunts can be used to power electrical items such as microwaves, televisions, electronic doors, but can only be used for a small amount of time. As for more cruel means the Combine will use an extremely large amount of the Vortigaunts energy to power heavy machines and extremely powerful weapons. Basic means of the Vortiessence is also by creating a large electric ball of energy to burst at an object with a considerable amount of force and power to push and/or kill an unlucky person or creature on the receiving end.

Some uses of the Vortessence include the ability to manipulate certain aspects of reality such as time, slowing it down, or even freezing it for a short amount of time. Which would almost certainly never happen in an RP scenario. Another ability that is rarely seen is the ability to bring someone from the brink of death and stabilize them enough to recover from wounds that most certainly kill. This is done by empowering themselves in the Vortessence by using the Antlion larval. I think a group of Vortigaunts being assisted by rebels would be an interesting experience and would love to go through an RP scenario to save someone's life, so I'd take it as far as it needs to go.

In a scenario where 2 units with normal sidearms are being drawn at me I would look for any opportunity to either distract them from me by moving an object to make it crash behind them and use that time to run for an exit. If nothing is available for me to use for an advantage I would give up and surrender.

Accepted!

#10 Suaki, May 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2020 at 3:08 AM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Strategic

Strategic Sicko Mode
    Administrator

Ratings:
    +950 / 62 / -29
    Server launches later today! If you have been accepted, please message me on discord!

We’ll still be accepting applications after the server launches, so no rush if you have yet to apply but are interested in playing as a Vortigaunt!